Cover windows with shade screens to uncover savings
SRP Shade Screen Rebate program makes installation more affordable
About 50% of the heat that enters your home comes through the windows. This makes shade screens one of the most effective and affordable energy-efficiency upgrades. While blocking heat gain, shade screens can protect your home's interior from sun damage, provide added privacy and cut cooling costs by up to 25%.*
SRP is offering customers a rebate of $0.80 per square foot on professionally installed shade screens to keep their homes cooler during Phoenix's summer months.
Note: For windows with a warranty, it is recommended that homeowners check with their window manufacturer or installer prior to the installation of shade screens to find out if the warranty could be voided. Each window manufacturer is different and how the shade screens are installed could void the warranty in whole or in portions (frame vs. glass coverage).
How to qualify
To qualify for the shade screen rebate, you must:
- Be a permanent SRP residential electric customer that resides in a single-family detached, single family attached (duplex, triplex or quadplex only), mobile home or apartment/condo (duplex, triplex or quadplex only).
- Purchase and install new or refurbished, qualifying shade screens with a licensed contractor by April 30, 2018.
- Install shade screens that block at least 80% of the solar heat gain on sun-struck windows only (west-, south- and east-facing windows).
- Install screens on the exterior of clear glass windows that enclose an air-conditioned space.
- Download and complete the Shade Screen rebate application
"I was amazed"
I added solar shade screens and cut my energy use by 25%. Honestly, I was amazed. After installing the screens on 20 windows in my house, I expected to see some savings. But when I looked at my SRP annual usage chart, it showed that I used 25% less energy. I saved energy every month — including the hot summer months.
Robert V. of Gilbert
In the average home, half the heat gain is caused by windows.
*Results may vary based on orientation, size of window(s) and screen material.