Choose the best thermostat to fit your lifestyle
ENERGY STAR stated that the average household spends $1,900 a year on energy costs with half going toward heating and cooling. As one of the major users of energy in your home, it's important to use your air conditioner as efficiently as possible.
Programmable and Smart thermostats help you manage energy bills, by allowing you schedule and optimize your AC usage. But, do the advanced thermostats live up to the hype? SRP breaks down the difference between these two devices, so you can choose the best one for your home.
- Pre-set cooling temperatures based on your schedule, SRP price plan and comfort—saving you energy while you're away.
- "7-day programmable" thermostats allow you to set the weekdays and weekends differently.
- Can save up to $180 a year or reduce 20% of cooling and heating costs, if set properly.
- Thermostats control nearly half of your home's energy. That's more than appliances, lighting, TVs, computers and stereos combined.
- Wi-Fi and mobile connected—so you can control temperatures and schedules on the go.
- Some offer self-learning capabilities that monitor and adjust comfort settings based on your feedback.
- Some can optimize how your AC system operates—making it more efficient.
- Can save up to 20% of your heating and cooling costs each year.
- Some devices detect when you have left home, automatically switching into away mode to save more energy until you return.
Evaluate your lifestyle
Bottom line, when choosing between a programmable and smart thermostat evaluate your lifestyle. Answering these questions can help make this decision easier for you:
A programmable thermostat makes sense if:
- You would like to participate in one of SRP's Time-of-Day price plans.
- You're prone to forget to set your thermostat or typically leave your AC running
- You're looking for a device to help you save energy and reduce your carbon footprint
A smart thermostat makes sense if:
- You're able to pay a little extra for the advanced features.
- You have an irregular work or travel schedule
- You would like to adjust your thermostat remotely.
Still have questions? Ask Jerry
Our experts will do their best to get back to you ASAP Monday-Friday—expect a delay for late night and weekend posts.
Read the Energy Efficiency Day official rules.